Sunday, May 16, 2010

Six Dead Queens and an Inflatable Henry

Last night, we went and saw Six Dead Queens and an Inflatable Henry at the Piccolo Theater, an old Metra train station remodeled into a 50 seat theater. The place is very intimate with the rumble of the passing trains and the chatter from the people on the platform adding to the character of the theater.

As we were walking into towards the theater entrance, we noticed two older women around 65-70 walking with canes in the same direction as us. Jennifer then let me know that she was afraid that the whole audience could be a geriatric ward (my words, not hers). After entering the theater, we walked upstairs, got our program, walked out onto the train platform, back into the station into a waiting room. I bought two cups of coffee and the doors opened to the theater.

Seating was on a first come first served basis and we seemed to be the odd people out as there were only two seats left in two different rows. After talking to the house manager she hooked us up with some reserved seats next to a woman sitting by herself in a row of three seats. Of course, the signs say move to the end of the row but she sits on the aisle. I ignore this fault as I say excuse me to move past her into our seats. Let me say, I am not a small individual by any means. This lady must have thought I was a toddler because that is all the room she gave me. She moved her knees about 30 degrees to the left and looked at me like she just parted the Red Sea and did me a favor. I almost laughed, but it would have been a WTF laugh so I continued to say I didn't think I was going to fit through there. Next she gave me a glare and said, "So I guess you want me to get up?" I almost lost it. This woman almost got the Amish Avenger, but instead got my WTF laugh and a yes, if you don't mind. Needless to say, she was there by herself for a reason - reasons I probably should not elaborate on.

Anyways, the show was very entertaining. The actresses complimented each other and fed off each others energy. There were sexual innuendos, girl fights, wind passing, singing and a cell phone interruption that the cast played off very well. I would recommend seeing a show at this theater - it is local, it is intimate, and the show was very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment